Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The People Speak!

Back in October I was lucky enough to get an article published in the Birmingham Post (UK, that is - not Alabama). The piece was about an American soccer fan’s viewpoint after attending one of the games of their beloved Birmingham City Football Club (you can read it here: http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/birmingham-city-fc/2008/10/27/american-gets-his-first-taste-of-soccer-the-birmingham-city-way-65233-22127034/).

A few months later I checked to see if it was still out there in cyberspace and amid my Googling, I noticed that the article had been posted up to the team’s official fan website via their fan forum.
It was then with trepidation that I then gazed down to the three dozen or so comments in the forum that followed. Most of them were quite complementary but here's a few of my favorites (I didn't change any spelling):

--Prooves yanks over exagerate or can't count. Only 17,000 at that game

I had gotten the attendance mixed up with the stadium's capacity...sorry. Then:

--"Oh great, now he's going to teach America thaat all Blues fans are fat with tattooed heads "
--"I know, it's terrible, not all of us have tattoos. "
--"They come over to this country they could at least say things properly!ITS FOOTBALL DAMMIT, NOT SOCCER "

But then people started sticking up for me:

--"Well...., The word "soccer" was actually first used in England as a slang term for Association Football "

--"I can't believe people on here having a sly dig at the guy. So what if he over egged things a bit. It's called journalistic license is all. What I see is a guy from a country the population of which didn't even know they were hosting the World Cup in 1994 spreading the word about our beloved Blues. If he ups the figures a bit, so what. He wasn't giving evidence at court was he FFS"

To be honest, I only used the word 'soccer' as the piece was originally written for an American paper.

3 comments:

  1. The people are tattooed yabboes. And they can't bloody spell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go in an post a reply yourself... then sit back and watch the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about it but the window of opportunity has passed. I doubt any of those guys would revisit this stream of commentary.

    ReplyDelete