Sunday, April 12, 2009

Isles of Despair



Today the New York Islanders will wrap up their unimaginably awful season against the Boston Bruins. It seems as though the team that once won four straight Stanley Cups might not be in residence in dear old Hempstead, Long Island in the years to come. Incredibly in this economy, there are actually markets out there aching for an NHL team and some claim to be able to build new arenas for them. Between the Islanders’ ineptitude and the advanced age of the Nassau Coliseum, this team may soon very well leave, a prospect that I find quite saddening.

I’m not going to kid you here, folks. When it comes down to it, I really don’t spend a lot of time thinking about hockey. It is a sport I follow out of spite. I started following the Islanders when back in the late nineties when I worked on Wall Street. Back then, I’d come to a few realizations, best illustrated in the figure below:


2 comments:

  1. God bless the contrarian. God bless the dreams he harbors.

    But for the Islanders I would they had one last season to redeem themselves, just to give the people of Hempstead something to look at besides a strip mall or a Carvel. Sad, bad business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only glimmer of hope is that there is a slight chance they'd become a new incarnation of the Hartford Whale. Other than that, they might be the Kansas City [insert innane, unimaginative name].

    ReplyDelete