Saturday, January 30, 2010

New York City


Today was an unimaginably cold day. It should never be as cold as it was today. My friend Donnie and his wife just had a baby, a little boy. He's wonderful. I drove into the city to see them. They live in the Upper West Side.
I went down via the West Side. But by about 158th Street, traffic locked up the Henry Hudson. I got off the highway and hit the streets. I zigged and zagged my way south passing Grant's Tomb and St. John the Divine.

I spent some time just meandering through the City. I forget sometimes, just how much I love New York. All the time I was driving , I was listening to Jonathan Schwartz on WNYC. Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett. That music just bore into my heart. It brought about a windfall of memories and dreams. I thought about the six years I spent living on that blessed isle.

And I listened to that music. The Great American Songbook. I thought my heart was going to explode through my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment