Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Butler did it!

Oh crap...Ooooooh, crap.

As a Syracuse man, I am obliged to collapse into the hysteria of the moment. Yesterday, I was among the faithful believing that another NCAA title was within reach. Now - not so much.

Here's the deal. I've been here before. I was (emotionally, not physically) there when my Alma mater won it all in 2003. I've also experienced that aching death when Syracuse lost The Tournament to Kentucky in the finals of 1996. Separately, in related sports obsessions, I've been fortunate enough to experience that narcotic euphoria when the NY Giants captured SuperBowl 42. But still, this just barely counters the other side of life's continuum. I'll never forget our(Giants') evisceration at the hands of the Ravens in 2001. And let's not forget how I somehow, had to find a way to keep on living when in fall of 2000 both Al Gore and the Mets lost to George W. Bush and the NY Yankees, both embodiments of all that I wish I could change about America.

We load all this emotional capital into sports - but, win or lose, heaven or hell, not much changes. When the Yankees beat the Mets in the 2000 Series, I thought I was literally going to die, But then the next day, I got up, shaved, and went to work.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences. There are an impressive number of championships up there, but when your team seems a lock (especially when other top seeds go down) it hurts surprisingly well. I am almost recovered from Providence's 12-overtime loss to eventual champ Arizona in the Elite 8.

    That was 1997.

    ReplyDelete