Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A few things

USA won bracket C today. If we hadn't scored in the 91st minute as we did, the boys would be packing their bags right now. All of America should be really proud of these guys and I hope the soccer-hating media changes their course. These guys deserve serious recognition. Ghana is next and you can't help but to feel good about our chances - we got momentum.

The Mets are playing really, really well. My son and I have tickets for Friday night thanks to my inordinately generous cousin. I am ecstatically excited to hang with my guy at Citi Field.

I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Nocturnes right now and it's really good. I'll keep it brief and spare you the usual Slimbo's Shelf review, but I will say Nocturnes is a collection of short stories that explore the strain time puts on romance. Music is a common salve amid these characters, sometimes a much needed buffer - sometimes a painful reminder. Ishiguro was featured in Granta's The Best of Young British Novelists back in 1983. In his author description it is written that he sleeps all day and then at night, he eats enormous quantities of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment