Sunday, December 9, 2012

Best of 2012 - New York Islanders

The New York Islanders and I were born 40 years ago a few miles apart; the former in Hempstead the latter in Rockville Centre. Although I’m admittedly a casual NHL fan, I do harbor a strong affection for this team.  I blame my adoration of Mets-borne calamities having no channel in the winter. So like many fans, I was troubled at the prospect of losing the Islanders to Kansas City or Quebec.

It did look grim. Understandably, Long Islanders did not want to hand their tax dollars over to Charles Wang to rebuild the 110% asbestos Nassau Coliseum. Lucky for us, Brooklyn came to the rescue and now the team will play in the Barclay’s Center. The team’s age-40 mid-life identify crisis came to a swift and fortuitous resolution? No more wallowing away in suburban anonymity. It’s hipsville and urban chic for the boys in blue and orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment